Have you woken up in the morning recently and found that your pillow and sheets were covered with strands of hair? Are there areas on your scalp where the hair looks as though it is suddenly thinning, or are there large portions of hair that falls out when combing? If you've answered yes to any of these questions, then you may be suffering from Telogen Effluvium. Aside from being difficult to pronounce, not much analysis has been done to explain it, hence all the confusion that surrounds it. Though it is often mistaken for androgenic alopecia or genetic hair loss, Telogen Effluvium (also known as TE) is a type of stress related hair loss that has a variety of known causes.
In essence though, Telogen effluvium hair loss occurs when there is a change in the number of hair follicles growing hair. A number of stresses can bring this about, such as a severe shock to the body, extreme mental stress or trauma, new medications, and even dietary changes. It is perfectly normal to shed between 50 to 100 hairs a day. However, in cases that involve Telogen Effluvium, a significant percentage of your hair follicles in the ANAGEN hair growth phase suddenly switch to the dormant TELOGEN hair phase. This situation might involve more than 50% of the growing hair follicles which results in massive hair fall and shedding.
The good news is you can reverse telogen effluvium hair loss but you must address the original trigger and get to the root cause of the problem as opposed to trying to treat the symptoms. Here are our top 5 tips to doing so.
1. The first one is to supplement with a strong high dose B complex to help repair energy metabolism. When we are severely malnourished, which could be from a number of factors including cellular starvation, chronic physical stress, or just eating crap and being predisposed to metabolic issues due to genes, our sugar metabolism is plummeted. This is especially true for diffuse thinners and telogen effluvium sufferers. The key is getting the energy metabolism to work correctly again and is why no amount of DHT blockers will work for someone suffering from telogen effluvium or diffuse hair loss. We suggest taking a B complex every day to help restore severely depleted B vitamins.
2. Stress and anxiety play a very significant role in diffuse thinning hair loss and telogen effluvium. The simplest way to look at it is the more stressed you are the more cortisol rises, and everything become more sensitive with respect to androgen receptors. Inflammation becomes harder to combat, and a slurry of defenses are left unchecked and of little help against normal inflammation. So the next step is to get your cortisol levels under control. Supplementing with Ashwaganda on a daily basis can help bring the cortisol levels down until you are able to get the stress levels under control.
3. Additionally, some scientists think telogen effluvium may also be a result of a deficiency in the immune system, since in many cases the hair can re-grow spontaneously. As a matter of fact, Scientists are now discovering that almost all types of chronic auto-immune diseases are directly tied to stress and inflammation which can cause deficiencies in the immune system. And telogen effluvium hair loss is no exception. Eating a diet rich in omega-3 fats and low in omega-6 fats is the very best way to reverse chronic inflammation damage and return our bodies to a state of balance. Taking an omega-3 supplement every day should help speed your recovery along even more. We recommend Krill Oil.
4. It’s always critical to use a topical aid to boost your hair and help alleviate the shedding until you get your body hormones under control. The supplements help your body from the inside out, and an effective topical directly addresses the scalp and hair from another front. Avoid chemicals and opt for a natural topical that does not create dependent hairs but rather stimulates and aids hair growth in a natural way. In this case, we wholly endorse Nature Crazy's All Natural Daily Hair Tonic and Nightly Hair Tonic which contains a vast array of essential oils and other natural powerful ingredients that can help thicken your hair. In fact, a recent study showed that just one of our natural ingredients outperformed Minoxidil by itself!
5. The last but not the least step is to avoid traditional shampoos and only use natural hair care products. You can probably pick out shampoo faster than it takes you to read our recommendations, but accidentally snagging a bad one can strip your hair of protective oils, cause breakage, and even contribute to hair loss which means choosing one with no sulfates or parabens. This is especially true when you are suffering from Telogen Effluvium. It’s critical that you continue to wash every day to remove buildup so the new hair can easily come in. So really make sure to avoid sulfates and pick out a great shampoo. If you’re wondering what a good shampoo is anything with essential oils or coconut oil. We also wholly endorse and recommend All Natural Daily Shampoo and Conditioner which is formulated for people with scalp and hair problems.
These are the top 5 steps in getting telogen effluvium under control and thanks for reading. If you want to join the pro hair health revolution just subscribe to our Nature Crazy Club where you will receive regular updates on cutting edge hair, skin, and health tips. Thanks for reading!