My answer to What are the best home-based treatments for Alopecia Areata and Alopecia Barbae?
Answer by Nature Crazy:
Alopecia Areata is an autoimmune type of hair loss that causes the T-cells in your immune system to attack your hair follicles, and can be triggered by stress, illness, or medication. Very little is known about how you can effectively treat this condition or how you can prevent future onsets from occurring because many people wrongly view it as a cosmetic disorder. The fact of the matter is that you can reverse alopecia areata hair loss but you must get to the root of the cause as opposed to trying to treat the symptoms with drugs.
Here are 6 methods that are proven through science that will help you reverse it and thicken your hair.
1. The first one is to supplement with a combination of curcumin & transresveratrol. Research shows that Alopecia areata is driven by cytotoxic T lymphocytes and is reversed by JAK inhibition Natural substances such as curcumin & trans-resveratrol can naturally modulate the Jak stat pathway. In layman’s terms, this means that this a key physiological regulator of inflammation and is an important regulator of adaptive immunity in the body. Taking one of each per day in the morning is highly recommended.
2. Additionally, some physicians think alopecia areata may also be a result of a deficiency in the immune system, since in many cases the hair can and does often re-grow spontaneously. As a matter of fact, Scientists are now discovering that almost all chronic auto-immune diseases are directly tied to stress and inflammation which can cause deficiencies in the immune system. And alopecia areata hair loss is no exception. Eating a diet rich in omega-3 fats and low in omega-6 fats is the very best way to reverse chronic inflammation damage and return our bodies to a state of balance. Taking an omega-3 supplement every day should help speed your recovery along even more. We recommend Krill Oil.
3. Vitamin D has a well-established effect on the immune system and is linked to a variety of autoimmune diseases. Recently, researchers at the Şişli Etfal Training and Research Hospital in Turkey conducted a study to determine if vitamin D levels relate to Alopecia Areata and how vitamin D may affect disease severity. They found that Deficient Vitamin D levels are present in patients with Alopecia areata and inversely correlate with disease severity We recommend supplementing with vitamin D on a daily basis to help with your recovery.
4. The 4th supplement is called Quercetin. Quercetin, is a flavanoid found in apples, grapes, and onions. In human studies, it has been shown to block the manufacture and release of inflammation-causing substances. In the case of Alopecia Areata (AA) there is an established correlation between the onset of AA and the release of Heat Shock Protein HSP70, involved in the inflammatory response. In a study HSP70 was inhibited by both local and systemic administration of Quercetin, and effectively helped prevent the onset of AA, and helped resolved AA. Additionally, it helps reduce anxiety and corticotrophin releasing hormone and modulates the hypothalmic pituitary-adrenal axis so it’s a win-win supplement for anybody suffering from alopecia areata. We suggest taking 500 mgs in the morning.
5. It’s always critical to use a topical aid to boost your hair and help alleviate the hair loss until you get your body hormones under control. The supplements help your body from the inside out, and an effective topical directly addresses the scalp and hair from another front. Avoid chemicals and opt for a natural topical that does not create dependent hairs but rather thickens and strengthens hair in a natural way. You may have heard that certain essential oils topically are effective against alopecia areata hair loss by eliminating bacteria build up soothing your scalp, and helping calm inflammation. Well this is true, a study conducted by the department of dermatology in Aberdeen, United Kingdom conducted a 7 month study proving essential oils can successfully help treat Alopecia areata. However, alopecia areata sufferers experiencing massive hair fall usually need something more potent to help stop the shedding and prolong the hair growing phase. For this reason we wholly endorse Nature Crazy’s AA Scalp Tonic which includes an additional array of powerful natural ingredients that can greatly amplify the rate of growth. Once you see a decrease in shedding back to the original amount you can ween off and start maintaining with a combo of rosemary, thyme, cedarwoord, and lavender essential oils. Study here. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9828867
If you are really experiencing difficulty with your alopecia areata you can also opt for a more potent natural topical. In this case, we wholly endorse Nature Crazy’s Scalp Tonic which includes an additional array of essential oils and other natural powerful ingredients that can help thicken your hair.
6. The last but not the least step is to avoid traditional shampoos and only use natural hair care products. You can probably pick out shampoo faster than it takes you to read our recommendations, but accidently snagging a bad one can strip your hair of protective oils, cause breakage, and even contribute to hair loss which means choosing one with no sulfates or parabens. This is especially true when you are suffering from alopecia areata. It’s critical that you wash every day to remove buildup so the new hairs can come in. So really make sure to avoid sulfates and pick out a great shampoo. If you’re wondering what a good shampoo is anything with essential oils or biotin.
Keep in mind that reversing any type of damage in the body is a process, requiring a search into your whole body. What factors effecting one person's Alopecia Areata may not effect another which is why some people recover quicker than others. Discovering these factors and triggers can make all the difference. Every person has a unique biochemistry and specific set of problems, therefore which specific supplements that will be most helpful can vary. For more information, you can go to our website here www.naturecrazy.com and watch our video.