Mistakenly thought to be a male only thing, up to forty percent of American women suffer from genetic hair thinning which is also known as female pattern hair loss or female pattern baldness. While losing one’s hair can be traumatizing for any gender it can especially be stressful for women as it is far more acceptable in our society for men to go through the balding process.
Polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS), a metabolic disease affecting up to 5 million women in the united states alone is basically the equivalent to male pattern baldness. In other words, women suffering from Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome will typically experience some degree of hair loss and those who are pre (PCOS) still might be experiencing hair loss if they have a genetic predisposition. Uncommon or extended menstrual periods, a surplus of body hair growth, and acne, can all appear in women with polycystic ovary syndrome too.
The reason behind this has everything to do with hormones. Hormones play a vital role in the health of your hair follicles and can affect the quality of the hair that your scalp produces. Typically, women have higher levels of estrogen than a man, which safeguards against genetic hair loss. However, women with metabolic issues as seen in those with female hair loss tend to have an excess of specific hormones such as testosterone. These unchecked hormones can wreak havoc on the hair and explain why those susceptible to androgens will see increased hair loss.
The good news is that female pattern hair loss can be halted and fully reversed. The field of epigenetics (which was a direct result of the work carried out at the human genome project) has shown us that while the DNA in our make-up remains fixed the epigenome continually responds to our diet and living conditions, enabling an entire alteration in genetic expression. In other words, the key to reversing hair loss is getting to the root cause of the problem as opposed to treating the symptoms with drug based products which often make the problem even worse.
Today, we’ll be sharing Nature Crazy’s 8 exclusive recommendations that can help you naturally reverse hair loss and regrow your hair. They address the most critical elements in female hair loss and are proven through scientific research. Best of all, anyone wanting to thicken their existing hair, maintain its natural luster, or just add body and extra shine to it can follow these methods too.
1. Consider supplementing with natural progesterone as most women suffering from chronic hair loss have a deficiency of Progesterone. It’s important to understand that Progesterone acts as a precursor for many other important hormones in the body and a drop in its production will cause a spike in cortisol, the stress hormone. Applying at least 15 milligrams of a high-quality progesterone cream will help correct androgen related female hormone imbalances.
2. Consider supplementing with Iodine every day. Many people suffering from female hair loss have an undiagnosed thyroid problem and low and/or heightened levels of thyroid hormones can result in diffuse hair loss. For example, T4 lengthens the Anagen hair growth phase and down regulates growth factor-beta2 in the hair follicle which is extremely important for hair growth. Taking Iodine will help optimize thyroid function which will normalize hyper androgenicity in the hair follicle. We recommend a quality brand.
3. The third exclusive tip we’d like to share with you is utilizing Ecklonia Cava which is one of the most multifaceted supplements you can add to your routine. It can stimulate hair growth, prevent hair follicle death, and reduce DHT activity in a natural way. Research has also found that the enzyme responsible for hair and skin follicle degradation, Matrix Metallopretianse-9, is greatly inhibited by Ecklonia Cava. And last but certainly not least it even helps improve blood pressure and circulation which can aid in the condition of your health and hair. We recommend taking two a day, one in the morning and another at night.
4. The fourth recommendation is taking an Omega-3 fatty acid supplement every day. Specific hormones, called prostaglandins, can slow hair follicle growth and when left unchecked greatly contribute to hair loss by allowing another hormone called interleukin 6 to shorten the anagen hair growth stage and extend the catagen hair sleeping stage. Using an Omega-3 supplement on a daily basis helps to suppress this inflammatory prostaglandin which is a direct response to DHT. Additionally, Omega-3 provides important health benefits to the cardiovascular system, the immune system, supports healthy growth and development, and reduces inflammation. We recommend taking Krill Oil twice a day which is an excellent choice for getting the right amount of Omega-3 in the diet.
5. Stress and anxiety play a very significant role in diffuse thinning hair loss and telogen effluvium. The simplest way to look at it is the more stressed you are the more cortisol rises, and everything become more sensitive with respect to androgen receptors. Inflammation becomes harder to combat, and a slurry of defenses are left unchecked and of little help against normal inflammation. So the next step is to get your cortisol levels under control. Supplementing with Ashwaganda on a daily basis can help bring the cortisol levels down until you are able to get the stress levels under control.
6. Consider cutting wheat and gluten out of your diet since a very high percentage of females suffering from polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS) are allergic to it. Gluten consumption can produces a continuous spike in insulin and glucose levels, which creates a chronic state of inflammation, and thus upregulates the hair loss gene Dickkoff-1 (which drives genetic hair loss). A healthy diet free of gluten can make a huge difference.
7. It’s always critical to use a topical aid to boost your hair and help alleviate the shedding until you get your body hormones under control. Your diet and the supplements help your body from the inside out, and an effective topical directly addresses the scalp and hair from another front. Avoid chemical based products such as Minoxidil and opt for a natural topical that does not create dependent hairs but rather stimulates and aids hair growth in a natural way In this case, we wholly endorse Nature Crazy’s Daily And Nightly Hair Tonic’s which contains a vast array of essential oils and other natural powerful ingredients that can help thicken your hair. In fact, a recent study showed that just one of our natural ingredients outperformed Minoxidil (Rogaine) by itself. Another key difference is you can ween off a natural product once your hair is back to normal.
8. The last but not the least step is to avoid traditional shampoos and only use natural hair care products. You can probably pick out shampoo faster than it takes you to read our recommendations, but accidentally snagging a bad one can strip your hair of protective oils, cause breakage, and even contribute to hair loss which means choosing one with no sulfates or parabens. This is especially true when you are suffering from female pattern hair loss. It’s critical that you continue to wash every day to remove buildup so the new hair can easily come in. So really make sure to avoid sulfates and pick out a great shampoo. If you’re wondering what a good shampoo is anything with essential oils or coconut oil. In this case, we also wholly endorse and recommend Nature Crazy’s daily shampoo and conditioner.
These are the top 8 steps to getting female hair loss under control and thanks for watching. If you want to join the pro hair and skin health revolution just subscribe to our Nature Crazy Club where you will receive regular updates on cutting edge hair, skin, and health tips. Thanks for reading!