Unfortunately, the vast majority of dermatologists still share the outdated belief that diet and compromised body systems are unrelated to the etiology of telogen effluvium hair loss hence it being the most commonly misdiagnosed type of hair loss in the world. Products being pushed (like Rogaine) take full advantage of the public’s lack of knowledge on the subject.
The good news is that you can treat telogen effluvium hair loss but the key to a speedy recovery is getting to the root cause of the problem as opposed to treating the symptoms. Reversing any type of damage in the body is a process, requiring a search into your whole body. What factors effecting one person’s body may not effect another which is why some people recover quicker. Discovering these factors can make all the difference.
Here are 6 tips that you can start utilizing to recover from your telogen effluvium as quickly as possible.
1. Determine the original trigger and eliminate it. Have you experienced any traumaitc events? Are these events still going on? Go over what has occured within the last 6 months or so, and try to recall if there have been any possibly traumatic events that have taken place. Generally, stress or a traumatic incident can trigger TE. Also new medications or dietary changes can as well. If you still aren’t sure what your trigger is then you can read our article on identifying the primary Telogen Effluvium Triggers.
2. The second one is to supplement with a strong high dose B complex to help repair energy metabolism. When we are severely malnourished, which could be from a number of factors including cellular starvation, chronic physical stress, or just eating crap and being predisposed to metabolic issues due to genes, our sugar metabolism is plummeted. This is especially true for diffuse thinners and telogen effluvium sufferers. The key is getting the energy metabolism to work correctly again and is why no amount of DHT blockers will work for someone suffering from telogen effluvium or diffuse hair loss. We suggest taking a B complex every day to help restore severely depleted B vitamins.
3. Stress and anxiety play a very significant role in diffuse thinning hair loss and telogen effluvium. The simplest way to look at it is the more stressed you are the more cortisol rises, and everything become more sensitive with respect to androgen receptors. Inflammation becomes harder to combat, and a slurry of defenses are left unchecked and of little help against normal inflammation. So the next step is to get your cortisol levels under control. Supplementing with Ashwaganda on a daily basis can help bring the cortisol levels down until you are able to get the stress levels under control.
4. Additionally, some scientists think telogen effluvium may also be a result of a deficiency in the immune system, since in many cases the hair can re-grow spontaneously. As a matter of fact, Scientists are now discovering that almost all types of chronic auto-immune diseases are directly tied to stress and inflammation which can cause deficiencies in the immune system. And telogen effluvium hair loss is no exception. Eating a diet rich in omega-3 fats and low in omega-6 fats is the very best way to reverse chronic inflammation damage and return our bodies to a state of balance. Taking an omega-3 supplement every day should help speed your recovery along even more. We recommend Krill Oil.
5. It’s always critical to use a topical aid to boost your hair and help alleviate the shedding until you get your body hormones under control. The supplements help your body from the inside out, and an effective topical directly addresses the scalp and hair from another front. Avoid chemicals and opt for a natural topical that does not create dependent hairs but rather stimulates and aids hair growth in a natural way. You may have heard that essential oils topically are effective against telogen effluvium and hair loss. Well this is true, these oils can work by eliminating bacteria build up, stimulating hair growh, and helping calm inflammation. In fact, a recent study showed that Rosemary Essential Oil (By itself) outperformed Minoxidil, the ingredient in the mainstream hair growth product Rogaine.
However, telogen effluvium sufferers experiencing massive hair fall usually need something more potent to help stop the shedding and prolong the hair growing phase. For this reason we wholly endorse Nature Crazy’s Daily and Nightly TE Hair Tonics which include an additional array of essential oils and powerful natural ingredients that can greatly amplify the rate of growth as well as help return the shedding cycle back to normal. Once you see a decrease in shedding back to the original amount you can ween off and start maintaining with a combo of rosemary and lavender essential oils.
6. The last but not the least step is to avoid traditional shampoos and only use natural hair care products. You can probably pick out shampoo faster than it takes you to read our recommendations, but accidently snagging a bad one can strip your hair of protective oils, cause breakage, and even contribute to hair loss which means choosing one with no sulfates or parabens. This is especially true when you are suffering from Telogen Effluvium. It’s critical that you continue to wash every day to remove buildup so the new hair can easily come in. So really make sure to avoid sulfates and pick out a great shampoo. If you’re wondering what a good shampoo is anything with essential oils or coconut oil. We also wholly endorse and recommend Nature Crazy’s Just Really Thick Hair shampoo and conditioner which is formulated for people with scalp and hair problems.
These are our top recommendations for treating telogen effluvium and thanks for reading. Subscribe below to join the pro hair health revolution and receive regular updates on cutting edge hair, skin, and health tips.